WWE SmackDown Outcomes: Winners, Grades, Response, Highlights Earlier than WrestleMania 39
0 of seven
WWE through AP
Simply 48 hours earlier than they do battle in the primary occasion of WrestleMania 39, Cody Rhodes and Undisputed WWE Common champion Roman Reigns got here face-to-face one final time on WWE SmackDown.
The confrontation headlined the penultimate cease on the street to The Showcase of the Immortals.
What went down, and what, if any, impact did it have on Saturday and Sunday’s epic extravaganza?
Discover out with this recap of Friday’s present, which emanated from the Crypto.com Area in Los Angeles.
1 of seven
Introduced upfront for Friday’s present:
- Roman Reigns and Cody Rhodes face-to-face one final time
- Sheamus and Drew McIntyre vs. Giovanni Vinci and Ludwig Kaiser
- Andre the Large Memorial Battle Royal that includes Johnny Gargano, Xavier Woods, LA Knight, Bobby Lashley, Karrion Kross, Baron Corbin, Bronson Reed, Madcap Moss, Santos Escobar, Dexter Lumis, Butch, Ridge Holland, Dolph Ziggler, Mustafa Ali, Rick Boogs, Elias, Cruz del Toro, Joaquin Wilde, ma.çé, mån.sôör, Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows, Shelton Benjamin, Cedric Alexander, Angel, Humberto, Ashante Thee Adonis and High Dolla
- Deadly 4-Approach Match: Natalya vs. Raquel Rodriguez vs. Sonya Deville vs. Shayna Baszler
The Usos Kick Off SmackDown
2 of seven
Credit score: WWE.com
Undisputed WWE Tag Crew Champions The Usos hit the ring to kick off the present, seeking to say a couple of last phrases forward of their protection at WrestleMania. Their prime contenders and rivals, Kevin Owens and Sami Zayn, interrupted early.
Owens and Zayn vowed to dethrone their foes and, hopefully, carry them again to the identical lovable Usos that they had been lengthy earlier than The Bloodline modified them.
A conflicted Jey responded, saying the predictions of The Bloodline’s demise at WrestleMania are untimely and that that is “BloodlineMania.”
He mentioned they’d stay champs, Owens would betray Zayn and nothing would change.
A tense staredown ended the phase.
So far as last-chance promos to hype up a match that already has a ton of warmth behind it go, this was good. We all know the place Owens and Zayn stand, but it surely was nice to see Jey acknowledge the truth that everybody thinks The Bloodline goes to fall in Los Angeles.
They nonetheless might, but it surely seems like that has been one thing the heels haven’t introduced up or used practically sufficient as motivation coming into this weekend’s large extravaganza.
The staredown between The Usos and Avenue Earnings as Montez Ford and Angelo Dawkins entered the sector for the opening match was a pleasant contact, too, given their wealthy historical past as opponents.
- “I am really fairly conflicted about what we’ve to do tomorrow evening,” Owens advised his WrestleMania opponents.
- “These are guys I can look as much as and I did…till you began doing all of your cousin’s bidding. Then, I misplaced all respect and it solely bought worse on the Royal Rumble, once you tried to take my profession…MY LIVELIHOOD,” Owens exclaimed.
- “It ain’t paranoia, we’re taking your tag staff titles tomorrow evening at WrestleMania,” KO exclaimed.
- “You selected blood over loyalty once you selected Roman as a result of he has by no means been loyal to you,” Zayn mentioned.
- “You guys can return to simply being The Usos. You are simply not going to have these tag staff championships with you anymore,” Zayn wrapped up his promo.
- “I do know you understand,” Zayn was overheard telling a conflicted Jey.
- “It is gonna be the identical with you two that it at all times is: you two are gonna lose the large match and Kevin Owens is gonna stab you within the again like he at all times does,” Jey advised Zayn.
- “This proper right here is BloodlineMania,” Jey mentioned, fairly appropriately.
Deadly 4-Approach: Montez Ford vs. Ricochet vs. Chad Gable vs. Erik
3 of seven
Credit score: WWE.com
Forward of the boys’s WrestleMania Showcase Match that may pit The Avenue Earnings towards Braun Strowman and Ricochet, The Viking Raiders and Alpha Academy, one-half of all 4 groups battled in a Deadly 4-Approach Match.
Individuals included Montez Ford, Erik, Chad Gable and Ricochet.
A high-energy, nonstop contest noticed all 4 males showcase their ability units earlier than Ricochet delivered a picture-perfect 450 splash to Gable for the victory.
This was spot heavy and, whereas it was good to see guys who wouldn’t in any other case get the ring time to showcase their talents, this was simply meant to be a fast preview of Saturday’s principally meaningless four-way tag match.
Ford continues to appear like a man destined to shine as a singles competitor, and Gable is nice, however this was precisely what it was meant to be and little extra.
Ricochet defeated Gable, Erik and Ford
- After being on the receiving finish of babyface offense, Gable and Erik caught their flying opponents and downed them on the sector ground.
- “This man can do every thing, Cole,” Wade Barrett mentioned on commentary, actually placing Ford over.
- Gable delivered a phenomenal model of Chaos Principle to Ricochet.
- Ricochet’s 450 finisher was as fascinating as ever.
- Stress was at a excessive in The Bloodline’s locker room throughout a fast minimize backstage.
Andre the Large Memorial Battle Royal
4 of seven
Credit score: WWE.com
That includes: Johnny Gargano, Xavier Woods, LA Knight, Bobby Lashley, Karrion Kross, Baron Corbin, Bronson Reed, Madcap Moss, Santos Escobar, Dexter Lumis, Butch, Ridge Holland, Dolph Ziggler, Mustafa Ali, Rick Boogs, Elias, Cruz del Toro, Joaquin Wilde, ma.çé, mån.sôör, Karl Anderson, Luke Gallows, Shelton Benjamin, Cedric Alexander, Angel, Humberto, Ashante Thee Adonis and High Dolla, Braun Strowman, Otis, Ivar, Angelo Dawkins
The Andre the Large Memorial Battle Royal is historically dwelling to the Superstars with no outstanding match on the WrestleMania card, and this yr’s incarnation was no totally different.
Whereas some storyline threads have been sprinkled all through, this was solely a couple of handful of Superstars. Knight was undeniably essentially the most over to the purpose that his elimination drew one of many loudest choruses of boos in current reminiscence, whereas Reed was put over as a power of nature.
Lashley was pretty clearly the favourite to win from the second he was included within the match graphic, and that by no means actually modified. He was highlighted throughout his entrance and all through, all the best way till he clotheslined Reed excessive and claimed the large Andre trophy.
For that man, a former WWE champion and a outstanding star all through the final yr, it’s disappointing that he was relegated to this, however it’s one thing that occurs to somebody yearly.
Hopefully, Triple H and Co. have one thing extra significant for The All-Mighty in retailer so he can keep away from this match once more subsequent yr.
- Lashley bought his personal entrance, simply in case there was any query as to who the star and favourite to win the entire thing was.
- “High Dolla…he cannot go excessive rope,” Michael Cole mentioned when requested who would win the battle royal.
- Corbin was the primary Celebrity eradicated, making certain he didn’t change into the primary man to win two of those matches.
- Otis confirmed solidarity with the Most Male Fashions, just for ma.çé and mån.sôör to try to eradicate him. They failed.
- Butch was tossed over the rope however landed in Holland’s arms, staving off elimination in the interim.
- Reed eradicated the massively well-liked Knight, drawing the loudest boos of the evening.
- Reed additionally eradicated Strowman.
Deadly 4-Approach Match: Raquel Rodriguez vs. Sonya Deville vs. Shayna Baszler vs. Natalya
5 of seven
Credit score: WWE.com
Like the boys earlier within the evening, the ladies’s WrestleMania Showcase match was highlighted within the type of a four-way match pitting Raquel Rodriguez, Shayna Baszler, Natalya and Sonya Deville towards one another whereas their tag staff companions watched from ringside.
In contrast to the boys, the ladies bought a fraction of the time, having to hurry via spots to get every competitor a little bit of shine. Rodriguez received the match, delivering an enormous boot and Tejada Bomb to Deville.
The match did nothing to create even a modicum of curiosity within the showcase match, which is unlucky as a result of there’s a appreciable quantity of expertise concerned. Sadly, this match and Sunday’s bout are reflective of the dearth of consideration and element that has gone into the ladies’s division past the championship footage.
Rodriguez defeated Natalya, Deville and Baszler
- Cole identified that Natalya enters her eleventh WrestleMania this yr, a staggering stat and testomony to The Queen of Harts’ longevity.
- Baszler broke up a Sharpshooter on Deville.
- Rodriguez delivered an enormous boot to Deville to arrange the end.
Drew McIntyre and Sheamus vs. Ludwig Kaiser and Giovanni Vinci
6 of seven
Credit score: WWE.com
Would Sheamus and Drew McIntyre have the ability to work collectively lengthy sufficient to defeat Imperium’s Giovanni Vinci and Ludwig Kaiser forward of their Triple Risk Intercontinental Championship Match towards Gunther Sunday evening at WrestleMania?
The reply? Sure, however barely.
The previous WWE champions expressed frustration with one another on quite a few events however finally put it apart simply lengthy sufficient to defeat Vinci and Kaiser, all whereas The Ring Normal watched from the backstage space.
The match was a step down from what one would count on from the expertise concerned, however when you’ve a WrestleMania match to prep for and avoiding vitality is vital, it’s no shock that it was not the full banger that it may have been below totally different circumstances.
Why you wouldn’t put Imperium over and spotlight the problems that exist between McIntyre and Sheamus is a query solely Triple H can reply, however that’s comparatively small potatoes.
McIntyre and Sheamus defeated Imperium
- McIntyre interrupted Sheamus’ entrance, smugly strolling previous him and to the ring as the stress between the rivals heightens forward of Sunday’s Intercontinental Championship match towards Gunther.
- Cole acknowledged the “can they coexist?” trope.
- McIntyre and Sheamus continued to point out indicators of dissension all through the match, barely working collectively sufficient to attain the victory.
Cody Rhodes and Roman Reigns Face-to-Face
7 of seven
Credit score: WWE.com
There was not a lot in the best way of substance to the Cody Rhodes-Roman Reigns show-ending phase Friday evening.
The American Nightmare minimize an impassioned promo that included and ode to Tupac and a jab at Reigns solely actually paying off as a foremost occasion star after eight years earlier than The Tribal Chief made his technique to the ring.
His contribution? Telling Rhodes to acknowledge him.
That was it.
Like a lot of the evening’s present, it felt like a phase with out a lot to say or supply up when it comes to last hype as a result of every thing Triple H and Co. wished to perform, they already had. Nonetheless, Rhodes breaking down into “California Love” robotically enhances the grade of this one.
- “As an athlete and a person, I’m as prepared as I’ve ever been,” Rhodes mentioned.
- Rhodes broke out into Tupac’s lyrics from “California Love” earlier than admitting it “could be a bit of too grownup” for Fox.
- “Possibly the one medication for me is, Sunday, defeating Roman Reigns.”
- “Roman Reigns is a 10-year make investments by WWE who solely began paying off in yr eight.”
- “I’m your successor. I’m your subsequent Head of the Desk. I’m ‘The American Nightmare’ Cody Rhodes and I’m your subsequent Undisputed WWE Common Champion.”
- “Cody Rhodes…acknowledge me,” Reigns mentioned, retaining his promo brief.