AP Picture/Stacy Bengs
The postseason image for the NHL’s central division is beginning to take form.
The Minnesota Wild clinched a playoff berth with Monday’s 4-3 loss (shootout) in opposition to the Vegas Golden Knights, whereas the Dallas Stars did the identical with a 5-1 win vs. the Nashville Predators.
TEXAS… Y’ALL READY FOR SOME PLAYOFF HOCKEY? 🤠
The @DallasStars are headed to the #StanleyCup Playoffs! pic.twitter.com/cyc1QxGwBw
WE’VE GOT ANOTHER CLINCH 🟢🔴
The @mnwild are formally headed to the #StanleyCup Playoffs! pic.twitter.com/SHfHOvLxf4
That now implies that 5 groups within the Western Convention and 6 groups within the Jap Convention have locked up playoff berths. Under, we’ll check out the present standings and break down the remaining playoff spots up for grabs.
- Boston Bruins: 60-12-5, 125 factors (clinched Presidents’ Trophy)
- Toronto Maple Leafs: 45-21-10, 100 factors (clinched playoffs)
- Tampa Bay Lightning: 45-26-6, 96 factors (clinched playoffs)
- Carolina Hurricanes: 49-18-9, 107 factors (clinched playoffs)
- New Jersey Devils: 48-21-8, 104 factors (clinched playoffs)
- New York Rangers: 45-21-11, 101 factors (clinched playoffs)
- New York Islanders: 39-30-9, 87 factors
- Pittsburgh Penguins: 38-29-10, 86 factors
- Florida Panthers: 39-31-7, 85 factors
- Buffalo Sabres: 37-31-7, 81 factors
- Ottawa Senators: 37-34-6, 80 factors
- Detroit Crimson Wings: 34-33-9, 77 factors
- Washington Capitals: 34-34-9, 77 factors
- Philadephia Flyers: 29-34-13, 71 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- Montréal Canadiens: 30-41-6, 66 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- Columbus Blue Jackets: 24-44-8, 56 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- Dallas Stars: 42-21-14. 98 factors (clinched playoffs)
- Minnesota Wild: 44-23-10, 98 factors (clinched playoffs)
- Colorado Avalanche: 45-24-6, 96 factors
- Vegas Golden Knights: 47-23-7, 101 factors (clinched playoffs)
- Los Angeles Kings: 45-22-10, 100 factors (clinched playoffs)
- Edmonton Oilers: 45-23-9, 99 factors (clinched playoffs)
- Seattle Kraken: 42-26-8, 92 factors
- Winnipeg Jets: 43-31-3, 89 factors
- Calgary Flames: 36-26-15, 87 factors
- Nashville Predators: 38-30-8, 84 factors
- St. Louis Blues: 35-35-7, 77 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- Vancouver Canucks: 34-35-7, 75 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- Arizona Coyotes: 27-38-13, 67 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- San Jose Sharks: 22-39-15, 59 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- Anaheim Geese: 23-44-10, 56 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
- Chicago Blackhawks: 24-46-6, 54 factors (eradicated from playoff rivalry)
Solely the Wild Card spots are up for grabs within the Jap Convention, and whereas the Sabres and Senators nonetheless have an out of doors shot, it is mainly a three-team race for 2 spots between the Islanders, Penguins and Panthers.
The three groups will not match up in opposition to one another in any respect down the stretch. Each the Penguins and Panthers have 5 video games remaining, whereas the Islanders are right down to 4.
Within the Western Convention, the Avalanche have all wrapped up an computerized playoff berth and nonetheless have seven video games remaining to take action. They’re going to be the favorites to prime the Central Division when all is claimed and completed.
The wild-card spots must be enjoyable, in the meantime, with the Kraken within the driver’s seat atop these standings with six video games left to play. The Jets discover themselves three factors again of the Kraken and accountable for the second wild-card berth, although they solely have 5 video games remaining.
The Flames are two factors again of the Jets with 5 video games nonetheless to play, whereas the Predators are 5 factors again with six to go.
Strap in, of us—the wild-card chase within the Western Convention appears primed to go right down to the wire.