Throughout a contest briefing on Tuesday at its R&D Middle in Harmony, N.C., NASCAR unveiled some tweaks to its qualifying procedures for Cup Sequence races.
The change will have an effect on all races besides these on superspeedways since group qualifying isn’t used at these tracks.
In any respect others, all entries will nonetheless be cut up into two teams for qualifying, with the quickest 5 drivers from every group advancing to the ultimate spherical. These 10 vehicles will then compete for the pole. How these 10 vehicles end within the remaining spherical will set the primary 10 positions on the monitor for the race.
Nevertheless, so far as positions 11-40, vehicles that don’t advance from Group A will decide the skin row for beginning positions 11-40 (quickest to slowest), whereas the remaining vehicles from Group B will decide the within row.
Beforehand, the vehicles that completed exterior the highest 5 within the two teams have been seeded 11-40 primarily based on their quickest qualifying lap no matter which group they got here from.
Cup sequence managing director Brad Moran stated the change got here after consulting groups and drivers with the purpose hoping to get rid of or cut back any benefit obtained by drivers being in a selected group as monitor circumstances change.
Group assignments will proceed to be decided by efficiency metrics, which contemplate quickest lap time place, driver’s remaining race end place, proprietor’s remaining race end place and proprietor factors place.
Amongst different gadgets introduced Tuesday:
– NASCAR will proceed to make use of mufflers for the preseason Conflict on the Los Angeles Memorial Coliseum and the Chicago road race however has tailored a brand new design it helps to lower the quantity of warmth within the vehicles generated by the mufflers.
– NASCAR examined a full battery electrical race automotive – with a compact utility automobile design – for 3 days at Martinsville (Va.) Speedway. The automotive, which has no manufacturer-specific design, did 340 laps over three days with driver David Ragan.
– Following the Daytona 500, NASCAR will do extra paving within the space of Ryan Preece’s wreck which happened close to the backstretch chicane. It had already paved a number of the grass space earlier this month.
– Cup groups will likely be allowed to have LED boards on their pit field indicators to permit sponsor signage.
– Each the Xfinity and Truck sequence may have dwell pit stops in any respect races barring unexpected circumstances.
– The Xfinity Sequence will as soon as once more provide the “Sprint 4 Money’ bonus program. The qualifying race will likely be March at Richmond, Va. The 4 races which pays the bonus are Martinsville, Texas, Talladega and Dover.
– The Truck Sequence will as soon as once more provide the “Triple Truck Problem” bonus. The three races the bonus will likely be paid are Charlotte, Gateway and Nashville.
Be a part of Motorsport neighborhood
Share Or Save This Story