A top-tier women’s flyweight matchup is in the works for UFC 255.
A person with knowledge of the targeted booking confirmed the matchup to MMA Junkie on Monday after an initial report by ESPN.
The fight takes place on the same card the division’s titleholder Valentina Shevchenko defends her belt against Jennifer Maia.
Calvillo (9-1-1 MMA, 6-1-1 UFC) was supposed to compete on Oct. 24 at UFC 254 against Lauren Murphy. However, Calvillo withdrew from the fight days prior due to a positive COVID-19 test.
Since losing to Carla Esparza in December 2017, Calvillo has gone 3-0-1 with wins over Poliana Botelho, Cortney Casey, and most recently, Jessica Eye.
Chookagian (14-4 MMA, 7-4 UFC), a one-time UFC women’s flyweight title contender, has lost two of her most recent three fights. She was knocked out by titleholder Valentina Shevchenko at UFC 247 in February and rebounded with a unanimous decision win over Antonina Shevchenko in May.
In her most recent outing, which took place in October, Chookagian was finished with body punches by former UFC women’s strawweight champion Jessica Andrade.
With the addition, the UFC 255 lineup now includes:
- Champ Deiveson Figueiredo vs. Alex Perez – for flyweight title
- Champ Valentina Shevchenko vs. Jennifer Maia – for women’s flyweight title
- Cynthia Calvillo vs. Katlyn Chookagian
- Mike Perry vs. Tim Means
- Brandon Moreno vs. Brandon Royval
- Paul Craig vs. Mauricio Rua
- Ariane Lipski vs. Antonina Shevchenko
- Jared Gooden vs. Alan Jouban
- Joaquin Buckley vs. Jordan Wright
- Kyle Daukaus vs. Dustin Stoltzfus
- Orion Cosce vs. Nicolas Dalby